Origin: Louisiana maybe. I don't really know, but I use a cajun spice mix.
Time: 2 hours in total from start to finish, but that is including the 1h30m in the oven, so 30 minutes real work
Yield: 6 pieces
Traditional/GAPS/SCD legal, Primal, Paleo
- 1 chicken of about 2 kg
- 1 jar of cajun spice mix of Steenbergs
- 1 bunch of thyme
- celtic sea salt
- black pepper
Things to do ahead:
1 day ahead - defreeze chicken
1 hour ahead - soak your roemer topf and take your chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas4
- Put your chicken in the roemer topf.
- Cut your lemon in half and cut one half again. The other half you squeeze out over your chicken. The other 2 you squeeze out into the cavity and put the squeezed lemons inside.
- Put the part of the thyme inside and part under your chicken.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of cajun spice mix over your chicken on all sides. Massage it in well.
- Close the lid of your roemer topf.
- Put your roemer topf into the oven for 1 hour.
- After the hour take the lid off your roemer topf. Put up the heat to 220C/430F/Gas7. Pour the cooking juices as well as you can over the chicken.
- Leave the chicken in for another 20 to 30 hours. Depending on how heavy your chicken has been. When it's somewhat under 2 kilos 20 minutes is usually enough. When it is over 2 kilos 30 minutes is often necessary.
- Make sure your chicken is cooked well by checking whether the juices run clear.
- Take your chicken out of the oven, put the lid back on the roemertopf and leave it standing for 30 minutes to an hour to rest.
- Take the bones out of the chicken and let the chicken absorb the juices a bit.